The internet is home to millions of websites, some are meant for entertainment, some for business and others are used to present personal opinions. According to Wikipedia, a website is simply a location connected to the internet that maintains one or more pages on the World Wide Web.
A blog is simply an informational or a discussion website that is made up of posts displayed in a reverse chronological order where the recent posts appear first. The term blog came from weblog.
Why do you need a blog?
- Blogs help their owners build relationships with customers; a blog provides the user a place to register satisfaction or disappointment, this helps the owner know what he or she is doing right or wrong.
- Blogs build trust, a blog gives the impression that you are listening, and you are there for the users, this builds trust between the owner and the user, it can also be used to give expert opinions.
- Marketing: the sharing option that comes with blogs, can be used to market your business and reach new audiences, blogs are also SEO optimized making it easy to find them.
Commercial website/ ecommerce
A commercial website is any type of website that generates a cash flow or revenue, it is important to understand that a website that generates revenue for a nonprofit organization is not ranked as an ecommerce website. Commercial websites are those that
- Sell services/products
- Sell advertisements
The importance of commercial websites
- Commercial websites make it easy for users to find your business though search engines such as Google or yahoo. It is basically your online headquarters.
- Commercial websites are your primary place of work, where you post your products, services and promotions.
- Commercial websites are used for branding purposes.
Entertainment websites are there to entertain you; examples include YouTube, vimeo, Tumblr, rotten tomatoes and metacritic .com
News websites are websites that are there to keep you up to date with the current happenings from around the world and locally, some examples include the CNN website, Aljazeera, fox an MSNBC.
Personal websites are sites that are created to contain content that is of a personal nature, the website only contains your personal information or that of your friends and family, it is not for commercial purposes.
Social media websites
Social media websites are websites that allow users to create their own profiles, upload pictures, videos and interact with family and friends. Examples of social media pages include: Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Pinterest, Slideshare, and Google plus.
A hybrid website is a site that combines the best features of your website, social media page and blog, to make it a one big hybrid site.
Why create a hybrid site
- Reduces the workload, a hybrid site makes it easy to update and maintain multiple sites, thus reducing your workload
- A hybrid site comes with social media plugins; this makes it easy to advertise on social media, all you have to do is share.
- Hybrid websites are easy to maintain.
Educational websites are websites made for the purpose of education, the websites provide educational materials or information about educational institutions, an example is tutor2u